ECS Privacy and Security Policies
Sacramento State has a traditionally understood policy that E-mail and files on campus computers are private and not to be
examined unless there is an urgent and "compelling need". Such needs could include a specific network security incident,
investigation of threats, or credible allegations of computer misuse. ECS takes this notion of privacy even further and will
only examine a personal file or E-mail under one of the following conditions:
- A legitimate authority requires such access in writing (the FBI ,the Provost, etc.)
- A documented case of misuse of an account or system is presented.
In either of these cases, the system or account owner will be notified that their E-mail or files are being accessed.
In addition, we provide these additional privacy safeguards:
- All of our systems and accounts are either ECS-NIS or ECS-Active Directory authentication based. As such, nobody can
access them without an appropriate ECS account and password.
- Privileged access to our systems is restricted and carefully monitored.
- Nobody outside the College can examine our systems and networks. All access is ultimately approved through the
authority of the Dean.
Security Plans and Practices
ECS IT Information Security Plan
ECS IT Security Practices